Dear MedDreamers Allies,
We are excited to share our first major updates since launching this spring. As you may know, the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA is now officially accepting undocumented medical students. However, undocumented students are ineligible for federal loans and usually struggle to finance their medical educations. With the help of DGSOM administrators, MedDreamers is focusing on three areas to support accepted students:
- Fundraising: APAMSA and LMSA are co-hosting our inaugural fundraising luncheon and silent auction on Sunday August 16th, 12-3PM, at the Glendon Bar & Kitchen in Westwood. Registration and donation links are coming soon, so save the date and spread the word! An online donation site will be up soon as well if you can’t make it (stay tuned).
- Policy: Our AMA student group at UCLA are educating the physician community outside of UCLA by submitting policy proposals through the California Medical Association and other professional organizations in support of undocumented medical students.
- Education: We are leading an Undocumented 101 training for incoming medical students during orientation week alongside LGBTQ training as part of a “Vulnerable Patient Populations” session. Student interest groups will continue building on this by hosting educational events throughout the year.
We are continuing to explore financial solutions with the DGSOM administration (e.g. setting up a UCLA scholarship specific to this cause, researching loan regulations, searching for private loan cosigners) and welcome any suggestions or leads. Here’s how else you can help:
- Donate silent auction items or services.
- Share the Save the Date and invitation with your friends and colleagues.
- Consider cosigning a private loan for one or more of our students (a description of pros and cons is attached).
- Read about Marcela Zhou and James Lee‘s difficult journeys to medicine at their personal fundraising pages.
- Forward this email to someone who you think would be a great ally.
- Donate by check now or plan to donate when our online donation site is up (contact us for more info).
Thank you for your support, and we can’t wait to see you at the Glendon Bar & Kitchen in August!
The MedDreamers Board